Battlestar Wiki Media:Audio upload guidelines
In a nutshell, this is the policy governing what kind of audio files the Battlestar Wiki Media accepts.
Types of audio
Battlestar Wiki will accept audio pertaining to Battlestar Galactica and items related to the series, including:
- "Fair use" content
- Audio clips from episodes. (Note: Not entire episodes or acts, but merely pertinent clips.)
- Copyleft and Public Domain content
- Audio from Question and Answer sessions.
- Pertinent content relating to Battlestar Galactica.
All audio must be uploaded in mp3 format. Battlestar Wiki does not accept any other audio format.
The Battlestar Wiki Media repository does not permit the following audio for any reason:
- Fan-made commentary podcasts.
- Podcasts released by Sci-Fi Channel.
- Pornographic noises.
- Anything not related to Battlestar Galactica.
- Files with the character "&" in any name.
Attempts to upload anything listed above may result in short- or long-term blocks from uploading content.
In brief, audio to the Battlestar Wiki Media must have the following information about them:
- Source information. This information should be as detailed as possible.
- If it came from a website, a URL to where the audio is located should be included in the source field on the upload form.
- If the audio is from a broadcast or DVD source, then we have tags that can help tell people which episode the audio capture came from.
- Copyright information. Basically, who owns it. Everything is copyrighted, regardless of whether it is declared or not.
- A description. Obviously, what the audio is of. It should be succinct, yet detailed enough so that people know what it is.
Audio uploaded without one or more pieces of this information will be deleted within five (5) or fourteen (14) days of being identified and tagged accordingly.
Uploading fair use audio
Anything that is released as part of a press kit or is an audio capture from an episode is copyrighted to Universal Studios / NBC or ABC / Disney, depending on the series. Use of it on the wiki must fall under fair use guidelines. In short, there must be a reason why the audio is being used -- and they need to be used. Unused audio files that can only be used under "fair use" will be deleted within five days of being tagged.
Uploading copyleft or public domain content
Any content released under a copyleft license or into the public domain may be uploaded to the wiki. Unlike fair use material, audio released under a copyleft license (such as GFDL or Creative Commons) or into the public domain do not have to be used in order to remain in the Media repository.