Battlestar Wiki Media:Video upload guidelines
In a nutshell, this is the policy governing what kind of video files the Battlestar Wiki Media accepts.
Important Notice: Due to the hard file limit imposed on our uploads, videos will have to be imported through another process. Please refer to the File upload service in order to get these files added.
Types of video
Battlestar Wiki will accept videos pertaining to Battlestar Galactica and items related to the series, including:
- "Fair use" content
- Commericals. These are used in a promotional manner and therefore can be used under "fair use" guidelines.
- Copyleft and Public Domain content
- Video from fan conventions.
- Pertinent content relating to Battlestar Galactica.
All video can be uploaded in QuickTime (.mov), DivX (.avi), MPEG (.mpg) or Windows Media (.wmv) format.
The Battlestar Wiki Media repository does not permit the following video for any reason:
- Fan made productions. We're not the place for fan-created video content.
- Deleted scenes and "special features" materials available either through the DVDs or online through the official website(s).
- Full or partial episodes from broadcasts or other digital, non-digital sources.
- Pornographic content.
- Files with the character "&" in any name.
- Anything not related to Battlestar Galactica.
Attempts to upload anything listed above may result in short- or long-term blocks from uploading content.
In brief, video to the Battlestar Wiki Media must have the following information about them:
- Source information. This information should be as detailed as possible.
- If it came from a website, a URL to where the video is located should be included in the source field on the upload form.
- Copyright information. Basically, who owns it. Everything is copyrighted, regardless of whether it is declared or not. Typically, the owner is the person who recorded the video.
- A description. Obviously, what the video is of. It should be succinct, yet detailed enough so that people know what it is.
Video uploaded without one or more pieces of this information will be deleted within five (5) or fourteen (14) days of being identified and tagged accordingly.
Uploading fair use video
Anything that is released as part of a press kit or is released as part of a promotion of the show or an episode is copyrighted to Universal Studios / NBC or ABC / Disney, depending on the series. Use of it on the wiki must fall under fair use guidelines. In short, there must be a reason why the audio is being used -- and they need to be used. Unused video files that can only be used under "fair use" will be deleted within five days of being tagged.
Uploading copyleft or public domain content
Any content released under a copyleft license or into the public domain may be uploaded to the wiki. Unlike fair use material, audio released under a copyleft license (such as GFDL or Creative Commons) or into the public domain do not have to be used in order to remain in the Media repository.