Battlestar Wiki Media:Image upload guidelines
In a nutshell, this is the policy governing what kind of images the Battlestar Wiki Media accepts.
Types of images
Battlestar Wiki will accept images pertaining to Battlestar Galactica and items related to the series, including:
- "Fair use" content
- Promotional photos from press kits.
- Schematics, CGI renders and concept artwork from official sources.
- Screen captures from the series.
- Copyleft and Public Domain content
- Pictures from fan conventions.
- Pictures from the set and exterior shooting locations.
- Any images relating to the production of Battlestar Galactica.
The Battlestar Wiki Media repository does not permit the following images for any reason:
- Unofficial CGI meshes or CGI images generated using said meshes.
- Fanon ("fan canon")
- Anything not related to Battlestar Galactica.
- Duplicates. All images can be easily looked for by checking the Categories.
- Files with the character "&" in any name.
Attempts to upload anything listed above may result in short- or long-term blocks from uploading content.
In brief, images to the Battlestar Wiki Media must have the following information about them:
- Source information. This information should be as detailed as possible.
- If it came from a website, a URL to where the picture is located should be included in the source field on the upload form.
- If the picture is from a broadcast or DVD source, then we have tags that can help tell people which episode and broadcast type the screen capture came from.
- If it came from a magazine, then the name of the publication, the page number, and the issue number will undoubtedly help.
- Copyright information. Basically, who owns it. Everything is copyrighted, regardless of whether it is declared or not.
- A description. Obviously, what the image is of. It should be succinct, yet detailed enough so that people know what it is.
Images uploaded without one or more pieces of this information will be deleted within five (5) or fourteen (14) days of being identified and tagged accordingly.
Uploading fair use images
Anything that is released as part of a press kit or is a screen capture is copyrighted to Universal Studios / NBC or ABC / Disney, depending on the series. Use of it on the wiki must fall under fair use guidelines. In short, there must be a reason why the images are being used -- and they need to be used. Unused images that can only be used under "fair use" will be deleted within five days of being tagged.
Uploading copyleft or public domain content
Any content released under a copyleft license or into the public domain may be uploaded to the wiki. Unlike fair use material, images released under a copyleft license (such as GFDL or Creative Commons) or into the public domain do not have to be used in order to remain in the Media repository.